Tuesday, July 19, 2016

Week 5: Another Philly Trip?!

So again with Philadelphia. It was a day off from work and a few of us wanted go off site, see some cool stuff, get some good food, and of course play some Pokémon Go. Even though the trip was essentially based on where we could go to catch Pokémon, the game took us to pretty amazing places. Every pokestop is of some significance or a historical site and gives you some information about the site. So as you're walking around the city and stopping at places for items, you are getting more information about the places around you. It is a really interesting part of the game that I was not expecting. Here are some of the places we were drawn to in Philadelphia...

Washington Square: A small park just off of Independence Mall is an amazing quiet place away from the main touristy area. It is where the tomb of the unknown soldier from the American Revolution and is dedicated to George Washington. This place had so much to offer and was so peaceful and serene due to the solemnness of the tomb.

Independence Mall: If you want my thoughts on this place please look back on previous weeks!

Old City: An interesting place in Philly. It combines the history of Philadelphia with the modern look of the new apartments and shops. A very interesting place with lots of cool restaurants and shops. One of those shops being....

Rocket Fizz: An awesome shops located in between the Betsy Ross House and Ben Franklin's gravesite; this amazing little shop has so much to offer. Candy, collectables, and of course lots of soda. Four coolers filled with countless types of soda with all sorts of insane flavors. Flavors tried were Red Velvet Cake, Rice candy, Martian Poop, and my personal favorite Grass flavored. It was an interesting stop to our next destination...

Reading Terminal Market: Is the perfect place to eat if you have no idea what kind of food you want. The options are endless. Eat in indian food, soul food, cheesesteaks, Chinese, or crêpes. Take on the go some ice cream, soft pretzels, or candy. Get your meat or fish for dinner that night. Since we were eating in; I had to go with a Dinic's roast pork with provolone and broccoli rabe. A Philly favorite!

Rittenhouse Square: Another great spot in Philly was my final destination before I had part ways from the group. Rittenhouse is sort of like Washington Square but more artsy and less solemn. There was more going on there but it was also later in the day. There were people everywhere (90% playing Pokémon Go as we were) but everyone was conversing, chatting, walking, moving, and being more human I've seen humans be human in years. It was a refreshing change of pace from the city in a little park with statues and fountains scattered throughout.

And that is where I ended my trip. I walked back to the 8th and Market station and headed on home back to the dirty Jersey. The blog is not done however, I still have one more adventure for you!


Old Man and the Sea by Ernest Hemingway was one of the first pieces of literature I read on my own when I was younger. I was at the beach, it was a short book so I decided to read it. I read it when I was little and enjoyed it. The simple prose, the information about the sea, and the character of the old man himself was intriguing to me. When I read it again this year it was all of that and so much more. It was cryptic and symbolic without forcing you to realize it. The references to Christ are subtle but there and it doesn't feel like he's forcing it, it just happens naturally. Even though the prose was simple, it never felt watered down or dumb. It just felt natural within the context of the story and character and conflict between man and the sea. Old Man and the Sea gets 6 out 7 stars.


And that's Week 7! Good stuff? Maybe! I don't know you but I know I had a lot of fun reading and exploring. If you have any questions, comments, or rude remarks please feel free to comment! Or you can contact us on our Facebook, Instagram, or Twitter pages! I would like to hear feedback of any sorts!

                             All the Best, Ross

No comments:

Post a Comment